We moved into our house a little less than two years ago. A big thing we loved about it were the extra large doors and windows the builder put throughout the home. Yes, all our doors and doorways are 8 ft tall! So to this day when I walk into a home with “normal” height doors, I’m slightly weirded out.
As much as I love the tall doors, it caused some organization issues for our guest bedroom closets. Here we were with closets that had crazy height but only one shelf and clothing rod! On top of that, it was positioned at the most awkward height. For now it is fine in the other two guest bedrooms, but Roman’s room needed to be change. I didn’t want to mess with these tiny human clothes on one rod and all this empty space underneath the clothes.
The whole closet just screamed organization nightmare!
I researched many closet systems from IKEA, Home Depot (Martha Stewart Line), and the Container Store. We ended up with going with the IKEA Pax System. I like the Pax system because we could pick and choose what combination we wanted between drawers and shelves without compromising the look. I am NOT a wire shelf kinda girl! So, after coming up with a design/plan and begging my husband, we gutted the closet and got to work.
Our closet width isn’t that deep, so we went with the 19 5/8″ x 13 3/4″ x 93 1/8″ Pax frame. This left about an 8” clearance from the edge of the drawers to the closet doors. I knew I wanted at least 5 of the Komplement drawers for onesies, swaddles, bibs, etc. Plus, then I had plenty of room for the Komplement shelves. I ended up getting 4 that way I had room for storage baskets. (By the way these are my favorite baskets and I use them all around my house, the color and rounded shape of them are so perfect!) Anyways after we put together the Pax frame, my husband and father in law mounted it to the closet wall.
The thought of wasted space kills me!
So we built-out double decker shelves with rods from the right and left side of the PAX frame. After everything was in place I caulked all the edges to give the whole system a nice finished look. For the entire project, including the baskets for the shelves, I think we spent around $300. Keep in mind we did salvage the existing shelf and rod! (If you can’t salvage yours, your local hardware store sells white shelves and wooden rods fairly cheap!)
What looked like a really annoying and unnecessary project to Brent, turned out to be a really easy weekend thing. If you have the budget and a closet that could use some help, I totally recommend doing this! Not just with a nursery closet but any closet that needs better shelf space! I’ll try to put together a DIY post in the future with all the specific details on this new closet system. I’ve linked some of the items in Roman’s closet below, or head over to my Shop page where you can find everything in Roman’s closet for summer!